Interview of Author Janet Carol Abney aka Jan Carol

1.       Share with the group, who and what inspires you to write?
 
Many things, actually.  I grew up in Monterey, CA, practically on the beach.  That inspired my writing when I was 14, when I began my first novel.  Moving to southeast New Mexico, a very different land for sure, I was inspired to write Texas Prisoner, which takes place just over the state line.  Since moving to Missouri, where we've been living over 26 years, I found more time to write, more inspiration in the beauty of the Ozark Mountains.  My children inspire me, mainly because they want to know why I'm not on my computer tapping on the keys!  My husband is very supportive of my writing.
2.       Why did you choose the genre that you write in?
I write what comes into my head.  Stories knock on my skull begging to come out and be put on paper.  I am a romantic, therefore, I think romance.
3.       How long did it take you to write your first book?

Actually 10 years!  I finished the first novel when I was 24...but then I let a friend read it, and found out she had taken psychology in college one semester  After analyzing me, hurting my feelings to the max, I threw the manuscript away.  I didn't write again for a long, long time.  The stories that would pop in my head, I dashed out with cold water.
4.       When you are not writing what are you doing?

These days, I'm editing for other authors.  It is my second love, but it is keeping me very busy.  I love living in other people's heads!  I travel to different countries, different planets, and enjoy different settings.
5.       What is your writing style

I'm not sure.  I just write whatever and however it comes to mind.  I've had one person tell me I write like the old Harlequin books.  That's okay with me.  I used to read them during the time I wasn't writing, so that makes sense.
6.       Where is your favorite place to write?

My favorite place is where my computer is.  Ideally, I think sitting outside with a laptop listening to nature would be where I'd like to write...if I liked laptops.  I have a problem with my eyes, thanks to diabetes, and laptops just don't have the monitor size I need, without paying a lot of money.
7.       How do you come up with your character names?

Sometimes the names of the characters are part of the beginning, most the time it's the last name I have problems with.  With a phone book next to me, I have looked through the pages to find something that sounds right, but most the time, the characters seem to name themselves.
8.       When marketing your book, what do you find most challenging?

Marketing!  Where to find the right places, at the right prices, with the right audience.
9.       Do you need peace and quiet to write or do you have any form of background noise? I.e. music, television.

Since we had a house full of children, I never remember quiet!  I don't need to turn anything on, I still have children at home!  They are watching TV, movies, listening to music, while I tune it all out.  And they have to almost yell at me to get my attention if they need something!  Since I grew up one of 7 children, then had 6 of my own, it's never a dull moment around here!  And my husband is 1 of 13 children...we aren't a quiet family.
10.   Tell our members where they can find your book.

I have 15 finished novels, and the easiest way to find them is to go to my website:

If you go to Amazon.com and search for Jan Carol, you are going to find lots more than just my books.  They are in both ebook and print.  If anyone is interested in “trying one out”, they can email me at momofemmett@gmail.com and ask for the one that sounds most interesting.  I love sharing.

Thank you for this interview.  You've got some great questions, and I love to talk!  Have a great day!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Entrepreneur

Keep A Blog

Podcast Your Books